It’s common for scholars to be financially handicapped when it comes to studying in their dream destination. The article covers how to get scholarships for masters in Canada.
Fortunately, the internet has made so many scholarships available at our door steps including easing the process of application.
However, the challenge lies with the application process as well as a successful selection for the desired scholarship. Even the best don’t get selected, mostly because of the method of application and presentation.
But don’t ponder since the article pin-points on the most important points needed in application for a masters in Canada.
The article also covers similar processes for application and gaining a scholarship in other countries which could be your dream ones. It promises to be beneficial for interested scholars who need scholarships to get into their dream country, most especially into Canada.
What is a Masters Degree?
A master’s degree is an academic qualification granted to individuals(at the post-graduate level) who have undergone study and demonstrated a high level of expertise in their specific field of professional study. Visit Wikipedia for more clarification if its definition.
Possessing a master’s degree proves a high level of expertise and mastery in that field of study.
Most students wish to pursue a master’s degree but lack the necessary funding to carry them out. Fortunately, there are available scholarships out to cover up these expenses that come with furthering your studies at the post-graduate level.
It doesn’t stop at knowing about these scholarships, but extends to knowing how to successfully apply and get the scholarship. The article below covers the tips on how to get a scholarship for masters in Canada.
How to Get Scholarships for Masters in Canada
Before we tell you how you can get your masters degree in Canada, let ‘s take a look at a few things starting from why students decide to get their masters degree in Canada.
Why Study Your Masters Degree in Canada
Here is the question: why not Canada? What better place to complete your master’s degree than Canada. It’s a dream destination for many people especially when considering the environment and how enabling it is for your educational pursuit.
Canada provides a very welcoming environment for people of all nations and race regardless.
Not only is Canada among the safest countries in the world, it proves to be among the most culturally diverse nation in the world. What a wonderful experience it would be.
Among the reasons most students choose to pursue a masters degree in Canada are these:
- Universities in Canada that offer master’s degree courses are targeted at personal development and professional enhancement. They do so by providing the scholars with hands-on practical knowledge as well top-notch facilities.
- The cost of living in Canada is considerably lower especially when compared with countries like the US, even with the high and flexible standard of education provided in Canada.
- Imagine an environment with the highest population of educated people. what a wonderful and reasonable environment to be in as well as enhance your development. That is Canada.
- The masters degree gotten in countries like Canada are highly sought for everywhere in the world. With these certificate you get the opportunity of having an upper hand when it comes to selection for job opportunities anywhere in the world.
- The flexibility of Canada’s system makes it one of the most sorted for student’s destination. No matter what the situation may be, the system bend to perfectly suit you.
- Others include it’s unique cultural diversity , as well as being able to work and study among many others.
Types of Scholarships in Canada
For the sake of the article, we’ll not discuss the various scholarships you’ll find in Canada. It will be treated in the later article. But we’ll treat the categories of scholarships you can find in Canada which covers your pursuit for master’s degree.
- Canadian Government Scholarships
- Non-governmental scholarships to study in Canada
- University specific scholarships to study in Canada.
Canadian Government Scholarships
These scholarships are offered by the government of Canada to exceptional students who wish to pursue a master’s degree in Canada and meet the eligibility criteria. These scholarships are usually fully funded and highly sough after by most students both local and international.
Examples of this scholarship include the following:
- IDRC Research Awards
- Canada Graduate Scholarships
- NSERC Postgraduate scholarships
- Organization of American States (OAS) Academic Scholarship Program
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program.
Non-governmental Scholarships to Masters in Canada
These scholarships are sponsored by non-governmental organizations and not the government or universities. These scholarships are not always fully funded, but will cover a large percentage of the fees a student will face.
Some of these scholarships available for pursuit of masters degree in Canada include the following:
- Trudeau Scholarships and Fellowships
- Anne Vallee Ecological Fund
- Canada Memorial Scholarship
- Surfshark Privacy and Security Scholarship
University Specific Scholarship
These scholarships are the most commonly found scholarship as various universities offer international and local students financial aids to ease the financial burden of pursuing a master’s degree in Canadian university.
These scholarships are awarded to high achieving students who face challenges with their finance.
During the process of application for these scholarships the student must demonstrate the need for finance without which he/she cannot further his/her studies.
Examples of these scholarships include the following:
- Concordia University International Undergraduate Awards
- Dalhousie University Scholarships
- Carleton University Awards for International Students
- HEC Montréal Scholarships
- Fairleigh Dickinson Scholarships for International Students
- International Student Scholarships at Humber College Canada
- McGill University Scholarships and Student Aid
- Queen’s University International Scholarships
- Quest University Canada
- UBC Graduate Scholarships
- University of Alberta International Scholarships, etc..
For more information about your study in Canada visit >> study in canada
Scholarships are also categorized according to the following. This is also an important thing point to consider in application for scholarships to study masters in Canada. they are:
- scholarships for excellent academic results
- scholarships for artistic, research, or athletic achievements
- scholarships low income students
- scholarships for under-represented groups( Hispanics, women, citizens of underdeveloped countries)
- scholarships for all international students
What Does the Scholarship Cover?
Depending on the scholarship applied for, scholarships range from tuition free scholarships to full ride scholarships. They take many forms and shapes.
Some could cover only a particular percentage of your tuition, while others could cover all expenses you would encounter during your stay in the university.
Whatever be the case, scholarships cover the following expenses. It is required that you know what you want and apply accordingly.
- tuition fees
- room and board(accommodation),
- school materials,
- living costs and
- study abroad fees
Tips to Follow in Application for Scholarships for Masters in Canada
Before application for any scholarship, always remember that these scholarships are forms of investments from whatever bodies providing these scholarships, be it the government, non-governmental organizations or even the university of application.
Bear in mind that these organizations want to see the passion and willingness to pursue your studies. No one would want a bad investment.
#1. Know the Type of Scholarship
If you really need a scholarship to study, then you must get yourself prepared. It’s for the serious as scholarships to study master’s in Canada are highly competitive; only the fittest get in.
It require that you be smart in your application, which involves knowing the route which favors you best when considering your personality, nationality , academic standing or athletic capabilities
#2. Do your Research
It’s very important that before you commence any application for a scholarship for master’s in Canada, that you do a proper research on the scholarship you finally decided suites you best.
Know everything the scholarship needs as well as the conditions they need to be met in a scholar. Different scholarships have their different criteria. Know these criteria and progress with your application in that line.
#3. Application Process
Though the application process may vary from one scholarship to another, it usually involves registering, writing a personal essay or letter, translating and sending the official study documents and proof of enrolment, etc
IELTS/TOEFL is also required for most international students as a test of proficiency in english.
#4. Prepare your Documents
Application requirements may differ, but the documents listed below are the general application requirement during applications to get a scholarship to study masters in Canada. They include the following:
- registration or application form
- letter of motivation or personal essay
- letter of recommendation
- letter of acceptance from an academic institution
- proof of low income, official financial statements
- proof of extraordinary academic or athletic achievement
Take note to complete these application documents in the best format the portrays you well before your interviewers.
#5. Watching the Deadlines
Most scholars make the mistake of waiting for the deadlines before they can complete the application. These institutions that offer these scholarship know that the one the need it will prepare and submit the application earlier
Besides early applicants are usually considered before the late applicants. It it therefore important that you submit your application before the application deadlines.
#6. Prepare Specific and Targeted Portfolios
Another consideration for scholarships is the course of choice. In application make sure that you are particular about your course of choice as well as present documents, achievements, volunteering services etc. that relate to that course of choice.
It gives one a chance ahead of the other competitors who may be in a similar field.
#7. The Importance of Very Good Essays
The importance of essays cannot be over-stated. How else will the university or organization know you and your line of thought if not through your essays?
Proper expression of one self in essays is very essential in gaining a scholarship into a Canadian university to pursue a master’s degree.
Present yourself truthfully and with much clarity and interest to your interviewers through your essays. Essays are very important in determining a person’s chances of getting into a Canadian University to pursue a master’s degree on scholarship.
Top 10 Universities that Offer Scholarship to Study Masters in Canada
While applying for scholarships to study masters in Canada, you should consider application to the following universities. These universities are among the best in Canada and will offer you the best set of experience during your pursuit of master’s degree in Canada.
- Western University.
- University of Waterloo.
- McMaster University.
- University of Alberta.
- Université de Montréal.
- University of British Columbia.
- McGill University.
- University of Toronto.
- Queen’s University
- University of Calgary.
Do you need IELTS to get a Scholarship in Canada
Most scholars ask this question. IELTS which stands for International English Language Testing System is exam used to test the English language proficiency of foreigners. TOEFL could also be used as a test of English language proficiency.
These test proficiency, however foreigners who score high score in IELTS enhances their chances of getting a scholarship to study a masters in Canada and on scholarship.