International students who wish to study in Canada are usually expected to take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). However, it is still possible to study in Canada without IELTS.
You are probably asking how it is possible to study in Canada without IELTS, right? You’ve come to the right place to clear your doubts. This article by World Scholars Hub includes properly researched information that will give you vital and tangible answers.
First of all, we would briefly help you understand some things you might not have known about IELTS. After that, we will break down how you can study in Canada without IELTS.
We would do all this in the best possible way, so that you’ll be satisfied with the information you would gain. Take our hand, as we walk you through this article.
What You Need To Know About IELTS.
What is IELTS?
IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System. It is an international test of an individual’s English language proficiency. This test is designed to examine the English language proficiency for non native English language speakers. It was established in 1989.
It is managed by a group of organisations which includes:
- The British Council
- IDP Education
- Cambridge Assessment English.
Types of IELTS test
There are 3 major types of IELTS test.
- IELTS for Study
- IELTS for Migration
- IELTS for Work.
Countries IELTS can take you to
IELTS is required in the following countries for several purposes. It could be used for Study, migration or work purposes. These countries includes:
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
- United States.
You may also want to discover how to study in China without IELTS.
You might also be unaware that IELTS has two modules:
- General Training Module
- Academic Module.
Parts of IELTS
THE IELTS test has four parts with different duration. These parts includes:
How To Study in Canada Without IELTS
There are several ways to go about studying in Canada without IELTS. For the purpose of this article, we have broken them down into few bullet points.
- Take Recognized English Proficiency Tests
- Show Proof of previous Education using English
- Search Universities in Canada that don’t Require IELTS
- Take Complete English Language Courses in Canada.
1. Take Recognized English Proficiency Tests
Apart from the IELTS, there are other alternative test that you can use. These test could be TOEFL, Duolingo English Test, PTE etc. You will need to successfully pass the minimum score allowed to use these test instead of IELTS.
There are several test that can replace IELTS, but you need to confirm which ones are accepted by your school. In this article We have listed over 20 of these alternative test you can use instead of IELTS. Therefore, you will want to continue reading to see them and check if they are accepted by your school.
2. Show Proof of previous Education using English
Another means to study in Canada without IELTS is by showing proof that you had a Previous Education using English as a medium of instruction.
You can do this by requesting for a letter, transcripts or other relevant documents from your previous school that show your use and proficiency in English.
Also, most Canadian colleges expect that if you’re using this method, you should have spent a minimum of 4 to 5years using English as a medium of instruction.
3. Search Universities in Canada that don’t Require IELTS
You can do a quick web search of the universities in Canada that don’t require IELTS, and apply to those schools. Also, some Canadian schools might require IELTS, but they will still offer you alternatives. This means that there will be more than one option available to you instead of IELTS.
Keep your eyes open for those details while browsing their site. All you have to do is type the words “English proficiency requirements of [insert your school name]”
We have also shared the names of some popular universities that don’t require IELTS within this article. We’ve also made a detailed article on these Canadian schools.
You could check them out by clicking the button below:
4. Take Complete English Language Courses in Canada
If you don’t have any of the test like IELTS or TOEFL, you can apply for an English as second language program (ESL program). Some schools also offer you an option of taking their own English program or courses as a replacement for IELTS test.
The ESL program often takes about 6 Months to complete. We suggest you choose what works best for you and follow the process duly.
Can I Study in Canada Without IELTS?
It is possible to study in Canada without IELTS. What’s even more interesting is that you have several options/routes to take. However, some universities specify certain requirements or criteria you must meet as an alternative to IELTS.
if you’re seeking admission into a school in Canada, and you cannot provide an IELTS, worry no more. We have listed a number of alternatives you can follow to study in Canada without IELTS. They include:
- Using scores of recognized alternative English Proficiency tests like TOEFL, Duolingo English Test, PTE etc.
- Submitting proof that you studied in a school where English was the medium for a minimum of 4 years.
- Showing proof that you are from a country that speaks English. Candidates who are from English speaking countries do not need to provide their IELTS scores in Canada.
- Also, you can take up the school’s English language course.
- Providing a letter of recommendation from a recognized source, showing your English proficiency.
Alternative English Proficiency Test
Here is a list of some of the recognized English proficiency tests you can use for admission purposes instead of IELTS.
- ACTFL Assessment of Progress toward Proficiency in Languages (AAPPL).
- Cambridge English Language Assessment.
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE).
- Cambridge English: First.
- Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE).
- CAEL, Canadian Academic English Language Assessment.
- CELPIP, Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program.
- CanTest (Canadian Test of English for scholars and Trainees).
- Duolingo English Test.
- EF Standard English Test, an open-access standardized English test.
- Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English (ECPE), the Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English.
- ITEP, International Test of English Proficiency.
- MUET, Malaysian University English Test.
- Oxford Test of English.
- PTE Academic – The Pearson Test of English.
- STEP, Saudi Standardised Test for English Proficiency.
- STEP Eiken, Test of English.
- TELC, The European Language Certificates.
- TOEFL, Test of English as a Foreign Language.
- TOEIC, Test of English for International Communication.
- TrackTest, English Proficiency Test Online (CEFR-based).
- Trinity College London ESOL.
- TSE, Test of Spoken English.
- UBELT University of Bath English Language Test.
Universities in Canada without IELTS
In the universities listed below you can study in Canada without IELTS.
- Brock University
- Carleton University
- University Of Winnipeg
- Concordia University
- University of Saskatchewan
- Memorial University
- Algoma University
- Brandon University
- University of Guelph
- McGill University
- Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Okanagan College
- Seneca College.
We have an article that will give you all the information you need on the Top Universities in Canada without IELTS. Read through to find out which is a perfect match for you.
We Also Recommend: Low Tuition Universities in Canada for International Students.
Top Courses to Study in Canada for International Students
- MBA (Master of Business Administration).
- Computer science and IT.
- Business and Finance.
- Core Engineering & Engineering Management.
- Physical & Earth Sciences and Renewable Energy.
- Agricultural Science & Forestry.
- Biosciences, Medicine & Healthcare.
- Media & Journalism.
- Mathematics, Statistics, Actuarial Science & Analytics.
- Psychology & Human Resources.
- Architecture (Urban & Landscape Architects).
- Hospitality (Accommodation & Restaurant Managers).
- Education (Teachers and Education Counsellors).
We also recommend: 15 Cheap Diploma Courses in Canada for International Students.
Scholarships you can get to Study in Canada
- Students and Postdoctoral Researchers: These are scholarship opportunities available to international students who wish to study and research in Canada
- Faculty and Researchers: This scholarship is awarded to faculties for the purpose of research in Canada or abroad.
- Academic Institutions: These scholarships are for non native students to study in Canadian schools.
Popular scholarships to Study for Free in Canada
Explore these popular scholarship opportunities available to international students in Canada. Some of the scholarships to study in Canada are:
- The University of Winnipeg President’s Scholarship for World Leaders (for International Students).
- University of Regina International Entrance Scholarship.
- Guaranteed Entrance Scholarship.
- Memorial University of Newfoundland International Entrance Scholarships.
- Concordia University Entrance Scholarships.
- Ontario Trillium Scholarship.
- Erasmus Scholarship.
We also recommend: 50+ Easy and Unclaimed Scholarships in Canada.
Student Visa to Study in Canada Without IELTS
There are over 500,000 international students in Canada. However, not all of these students applied to Canadian universities with IELTS. As we have discussed above, there are several alternatives you can use.
Nevertheless, on gaining admission, you would require:
- Study Permit
- A Visitor Visa.
What is a Study Permit?
A study permit is a document issued by the government of Canada to allow international students to study at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada.
As a Foreign student, you will need a study permit as well as other documents to study in Canada. The study permit cost about $150 dollars.
How to apply for the Study Permit
You must apply for your study permit before you come into to Canada. However, you can apply at the port of entry in Canada or within Canada. You should know which options are available before taking any action.
During application, you will be asked to provide a letter of acceptance from the designated learning institution (DLI) you’ve been admitted to.
What is a Visitor Visa
You’ll receive a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA), either of which will allow you entry into Canada.
A visitor visa or a temporary resident visa is an official document citizens from other countries require to travel and gain entry into Canada.
Which Documents are required for Canadian Visa?
When you receive your college acceptance letter, it is wise to start the application for your student visa. Note that you would require the following:
- Valid Passport
- Proof of Acceptance by a Designated Learning Institution
- Proof of Funds
- Passport Size Photographs
- Immigration Medical Examination (IME)
- English Language Proficiency Exam Score.
- Statement of Purpose why you have chosen the school.
- Credit Card
- Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended
- Scores from tests, such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, or GMAT.
How to Apply for a Canadian Visa for Study
You can choose to follow these suggested steps to apply for a Student Visa.
- Check the processing times
- Determine how you will apply.
- You can choose to either (a) Apply online (b) Apply in person
- Pay fee for processing
- Attach your application form to a Completed VFS Consent Form
- Submit your application and other required documents.
- On approval of your application, you will receive a notification message with next steps.
Thank you for reading our helpful guide! We all at World Scholars Hub wishes you best of luck in your search for admission into Canadian schools.